Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 43 made on Thursday January 12, 2017 at 18:58
Audiophiliac
August 2006
I am not sure I understand your point Julie. Yeah, you have warned us against using unsanctioned SONOS drivers. But the fact is that they worked. And they worked well. Having SONOS pull the legs out from under that table is a disappointing thing for sure, but it is hardly something to point the finger and say "told you so" at. Just another bump in the road....a road that has never had many long smooth stretches, as you all know if you are not a complete noob. :P

At least they have offered a sanctioned API. They could have much more easily not done so and left us completely boned. And surely it will be improved as time goes on. I had not heard that there would be a sunset on the existing unsanctioned drivers. Is that an official word from SONOS? Does anyone know if that will effect the Sony AVR/SONOS integration?

Having to wean customers into using the SONOS app, or selling them another streaming box, is pudding compared to some of the other industry shenanigans we have faced over the years. Remember when AMX bought Phast and ceased selling product and supporting dealers? Remember when Apple changed the connector on the iPod/iPhone immediately obsoleting literally millions of docks, a lot of which were installed by many members of this forum? Remember when Crestron tried to initiate warranties on ship date from their warehouse instead of our sell date and we all sent all our stock back to them? (oh you did not do that?....eventually they realized how dumb that was and recanted). Remember when HDMI?

The point is that this is not a big deal. I posted elsewhere that I predict a volatile future for our niche industry. It will be interesting. The perceived value of the "complex and expensive" systems we are installing today will wane in the eyes of the upcoming generation of those who will be our future clientele. It will be up to us to adapt, not force them to accept our "antiquated traditions". :)
"When I eat, it is the food that is scared." - Ron Swanson

Hosting Services by ipHouse