The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 23 made on Tuesday January 10, 2017 at 12:03
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On January 9, 2017 at 21:57, Hi-FiGuy said...
The original point was that I have miles of Cat5 and ZERO Cat6

Well, yeah, but it's reasonable to expect you to have that at the moment you first seriously ask this question. You having all that CAT5 is a reason to ask the question!

Besides, I thought the original question was more along the line of "am I doing the right thing for my customers and my business?"

Moving on a bit, if you had thought about this issue a year ago and had then decided to install CAT6 to lengthen the time before your new installations become obsolete, you'd have either totally switched or you'd have a mix of product so you wouldn't be able to make a point of how much CAT5 you have.

As for cost, yes, it's not a lot. Four cents a foot is $211 per mile. Is that a lot? How many miles do you use in your average installation? The price per million feet is misleading as it's still a small percentage of the price of a job. Besides, it's the million foot installation where you'd damn well better use the better cable, since so much more is on the line!
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse