The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Monday December 26, 2016 at 03:42
Mac Burks (39)
Elite Member
May 2007
On December 26, 2016 at 00:57, FreddyFreeloader said...
What, did it just break a lot? If not, how really can you f up an audio switcher? Too proprietary AND doesn't work?

Our problems with Phast:

#1. 50% of all DMS keypads broke during installation...or shortly after if a painter or anyone else tried to remove one for any reason. Poor design. The LCD display was part of the front cover plate. There was a fragile connector that would snap off...or the LCD would crack just trying to remove the front cover so that you could get to the screw holes to install it. Every other keypad or touchpanel on the planet has a simple cover plate that goes over the device.

#2. Software was buggy as hell. Support was terrible. The two mixed together was a recipe for disaster. Every single time we called tech support we got two sentences from them. "We have never heard of that problem before" and "upgrade the software to the latest build".

#3. Crappy hardware. We used card frames. CF10's. For no reason at all the MCU card would just stop working. Moving the card from one slot to another in software would get it working again. It was like a soft reseat of the card.

The HUB was finicky as hell. We once killed every port on the hub because another tech and I were toning/testing Cat5's with a lan tester as we connected each keypad. The other tech wasn't moving the lan tester probe from the Cat5 fast enough. I would remove the test end and plug up the Cat5 and the dumb/non powered probe somehow killed the port. In 20 years i have never experienced another device (with an RJ45 jack on it) fail just because a probe was connected to it.

#4. Phast lighting was the final nail in the coffin.

Whats crazy is that after we almost went out of business getting those systems working...they lasted 10 years or more.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse