The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 19 made on Sunday December 18, 2016 at 10:25
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On December 17, 2016 at 18:31, Ernie Gilman said...
This writing is clear and correct.
Yeah, but people who don't know that even solid state rectifiers have a forward voltage drop will never understand diodes. It's to their detriment to write "may" have a voltage drop.

I'd vote for" accepting the fact(s)."
AMEN BROTHER! Solid state drops are less than a volt; that 5U4 I looked up had 50 volts of drop, so replacement with solid state would likely increase the B+ by an unacceptable amount.
Excellent, informative, and accurate. Thanks. You'll never get complaints about the facts from me when you write like this.

You would be surprised by the number of people who recommend using a 5U4 to replace a rectifier in a small amplifier that originally had a 5Y3, 5AR4 5V4, 5R4, etc. This may work, but probably not for too long since the 5U4 can draw 3A vs the others, which draw 2A or less. This is particularly problematic when the incorrect replacement goes into a collectible amp, which includes every model made by Fender from the beginning to the late-'70s, although the actual models at the end of this time are debatable- they can usually be improved to be as good as their predecessors and the reason they weren't as good is due to the fact that many of the people who worked for Fender during their hey-day left after CBS bought the company and made these changes to cut costs.

Leo Fender trained as an accountant during the Depression, but he was interested in other things, including radio repair and music. He didn't play an instrument, but he had many friends who did and they had a lot of problems with equipment reliability, so he would repair theirs. As he learned more about electronics, partnered with Doc Kaufman, making small amplifiers & lap steel guitars in the '30s and continuing to make repairs. He would improve what may have been needed and then, eventually started Fender Electric Instruments.

Leo didn't design everything- some tasks were handed of to others once the company grew to a size that required more of his attention. The amplifier in the link above is said to have been designed by Freddie Tavarez, who was a long-time Fender employee who was also a session musician in Los Angeles, playing steel guitar. He's also known for the steel guitar 'sweep' at the beginning of the theme song for those Warner Brothers cartoons most of us grew up with.

Here's one on-stage, played by Scotty Moore, with Elvis-

Last edited by highfigh on December 18, 2016 10:41.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse