The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Friday December 16, 2016 at 00:58
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On December 15, 2016 at 19:32, Don Heany said...
Agree with the above- but if you have the means to step it up- [Link: toruspower.com]

We used some of these in our Saudi system. Nice little jobbies. And the EquiTech transformers we used to convert 480V three phase into three separate 240V supplies just happened to use transformers made by Torus. When we were test-driving the system with the client's engineers, they told us the system was drawing about 17 kVA. The transformers, after ten minutes of this, were only slightly warm. Trust Torus.

I believe I see some misinformation here:
On December 15, 2016 at 09:06, highfigh said...
Many power amps don't care much unless the surge is extreme- tube amps can be vulnerable because they increase the line voltage so much for the plates and if the caps aren't rated for high enough voltage, they can go away.

The power transformer in the amp provides as high an AC voltage as is necessary to run the tubes, sometimes with B+ on the plates as high as 500 volts. This is not "increasing the line voltage." It's normal and responsible power supply design.

So there's a voltage surge and
Hopefully, the fuse blows, but who knows? Solid state amps don't work with such high voltage, so the effect is less.

Not at all. If you want to generalize, it makes sense to say that tubes are voltage devices (high impedance and high voltage circuitry) while transistors are current devices (low impedance, much higher current draw, and the power transformers for transistor amps always lower the voltage from mains level).

If a tube gets too much voltage, it may shorten its life. Capacitors are usually rated much above operating voltage. Transistors, on the other hand, get one chance at too much voltage or too much current, and then they open or short. Gone. Dead. One occurrence.

Many surge strips, protectors and so-called 'conditioners' can limit current if the amp isn't highly regulated

SOME protectors might limit the amount of current an amp can draw when you crank it, whether it's a tube unit or a solid state unit.

and some have outlets marked for amplifiers and some have one for Subwoofer (or, just 'Sub'). Haven't opened one, so I don't know what is different.

It could be that the labels are to help you plug your system back in if you take it apart. Some of these products state in their manuals that the outlets are specifically for certain types of products. Some don't.

I installed a Furman Elite 15PFi ten years ago- not a single piece of equipment has had a problem and I have been in the equipment room during thunder storms with lightning strikes that were very close to the house.

This is an anecdote. Are ALL of the power strips and extensions cords in your house made by Furman, with the same level of protection? Are ANY TVs connected directly to the power line? Have ANY devices in your house gotten destroyed during this time? If a TV plugged into a cheapo power strip did not get destroyed, you can't make any claims about the Furman.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse