The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 36 made on Wednesday December 14, 2016 at 15:19
Trunk-Slammer -Supreme
Loyal Member
November 2003
On December 14, 2016 at 10:38, tomciara said...
100% electric vehicles on the road, including vans, trucks pulling trailers and so forth is not practical in the least.

Actually, this level of vehicle is being worked on as well, and I do believe they will be practical.

If not fully electric, at least some hybrid form should work.

The wife's car, which is a full size (and to me luxury car), gets over 50 MPG at times when driven in a reasonable manner. But she isn't one to let a speed limit stand in her way, and getting up to that point is to be done as fast as possible, so her average MPG is lower than mine when I drive it.

Sure, some day the batteries will have to be replaced and then old ones recycled, but the cost of that is spread over a lot of miles. Well over 100K in fact. Break that cost down by the miles driven and it's not going to have anything but a tiny effect on the overall MPG and cost equation.

Full electric will be a viable avenue as the mileage constraints open up. When you can go over 400 to 500 miles on a charge, and the vehicle cost comes down, I believe we'll see a lot more of the electric cars on the road.

Perhaps most of the body will become a solar panel that works with the braking systems and other devices?

As an aside:

My beach buggy can go 40+ miles on a charge, and the island is only something like 12 miles long, so I'm good to go... :-)

Hosting Services by ipHouse