Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10,936 made on Sunday July 10, 2016 at 08:54
Mr Mod
Founding Member
August 2001
this is a post i made on another forum, but feel we all need to be aware

Here i am laying in bed at the Alfred Hospital here in Melbourne, why am i here
Thursday morning was like no other got up at 6am showered had breakfast and headed off to work at 8am. Got to work had a cuppa ànd had aslight headache and took 2 panadol.
An hour later headache gone, proceeded to finish presentation before heading to see client. Packed my bag and said see you tomorrow. A colleague asked if i was ok as i looked tired.

Had meetting with client, and procceeded to head home, the colleague i was with rang but i hadnt got it on the handsfree so ignored it. A few minutes later a number of my other colleagues rang as well as the client. So thinking something had happened i stopped at the side of the road and rang my colleague who asked to stop the car and asked where i was.
Asking why he said we are concerned on your health, we are calling an ambulance as you were mumbling through the meeting.
Met ambulance and asked stuff loads of question and a few tests done before being taken to the Alfred with lights and sirens on.
Once admitted into ER further test done along with a CT before being admitted . My blodd preasure was 245 over 90 when i arrived
Have had ultraasounds, MRI and Xrays which have confirmed that i had a small stroke which they suspect which happened when i had the headache some 7 hours earlier.

Im am a 50 year old non smoker who rarely drinks, the only thing is i have also just been diagnosed as a diabetic whilst here. They beleive that this is what caused the stroke. All the flying i have done in past 18 months may have been a contributing factor as i had just done a Melbourne to brisbane then drive to the sunshine coast and back the day before. Prior to that i have done 12 trips fom melbourne to shanghai returns and 3 melbourne to singapore returns.

Now why am i writing this,
I urge all of you to be aware of your health, and do take note when a colleague asks you if your ok. If you have had a headache or speach sounds different or you face has dropped.
Just drop what your doing and get someone to call an ambulance, it may be what will keep you alive and pursue our wonderful hobby.

I have been told to take it easy and see a speach therapist, i can type but cant speak too well now. Also told to stay home and not worry about work

I also ask you to be observant of your colleagues , family and freinds. If you suspect anything take their damn car keys off them and get them to sit down while you call an ambulance.

Hosting Services by ipHouse