The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 34 made on Wednesday July 6, 2016 at 02:41
Mac Burks (39)
Elite Member
May 2007
On July 3, 2016 at 11:44, goldenzrule said...
I'm the opposite from some of you guys. The URC remotes with both an on and off button are colored green and red respectively. I program the On button to power the system on and take you the most widely used source (Cable/SAT). The red off button, of course is the system off. A quick rundown of the remote and the client gets it. For those really technology challenged people, they typically don't use anything BUT cable or sat, and its dead simple, "Green for GO, Red for STOP". They always get it. For the more technically inclined people, press whichever source you wish to watch/listen to. Press the Red off button when done. Dead simple. It just works.

I always try to explain it like this...

If you were a single person living in an apartment by yourself then i say OKAY to a lot of things i usually say no to. I get people all the time asking me about voice commands and occupancy sensors for music and TV. For a single person these things can be fine tuned and perfectly tailored. The moment you add a wife or kids or even a dog...it becomes annoying and most people ask us to disable it.

Same goes for the ON and OFF button. You mention "most widely used source". In a house with 5 people this could be any of the sources. What about if they have a his and hers cable box? Which cable box do you decide to select with the ON button?

If your dealing with a single family room or a place with a single person/personality this is fine and will never become an issue. If you are dealing with a larger home/family you are creating inconsistency that causes confusion. if on the other hand you make it so that every time someone picks a remote up they see the "Select a source" or "Watch" & "Listen" buttons you force everyone to use the remote the same way for every source.

The OFF button isn't needed either but someone here years ago taught me a way to deal with the OFF button. Actually it was for the URC T2-C "POWER" button. We use the button to popup a "OFF MENU" page where you can put whatever you want like for our typical systems we will have "Room Off" "All Rooms Off" and sometimes even "Lights" to toggle lights on and off just in the room you are watching TV in.

BTW...at my house in my single zone system i use the ON button exactly the way you described. Great for me but always confuses anyone in my house who wants to use something other than cable.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse