Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 40 made on Wednesday April 6, 2016 at 08:52
howieumd
Lurking Member
November 2014
On April 5, 2016 at 21:31, Fins said...
Instead of imediatley blaming the router, tell us about your moca setup. What hardware are you using and how is it hooked up? Also, is this your first attempt with moca?

I don't have any issues with the router, besides the MoCA adapter. This isn't my first attempt with MoCA. I've had it setup for over 2 years now. I was using the Actiontec ECB2500c, a recommendation by TiVo. When I first installed it into my network that was being run by an Asus router, it immediately worked. Once I got Control4, about 1.5 years ago, my integrator recommended switching the Asus to a Mikrotik and getting 3 Ubiquiti AP's, as the Asus was pretty restrictive and was an all-in-one WiFi router. He programmed the Mikrotik for me, got it setup, and everything worked well, which also included moving the MoCA adapter into that setup with no issue. The only reason I needed the adapter in the first place was because TiVo recommended it because I was using MoCA and getting stuttering or occasional freezing at 1 or 2 of my 4 minis without the adapter. I've never had an issue with MoCA since getting the adapter.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago, I decided it was time to upgrade my switches, as streaming from time to time was a little slower than I felt it should be. I had Netgear unmanaged switches, which were pretty cheap. I was looking between SnapAV, Luxul, Pakedge and deciding between managed and unmanaged. A different integrator than the one who did my initial Control4 install, recommended SnapAV unmanaged switches for my setup, and getting their router as well, to setup VLAN's for a few things that didn't necessarily have to speak to Control4. He ordered them and we swapped out the switches first, and there was immediate and noticeable improvement in network performance. Control4 opened and changed things a lot faster, whether it was lights going on from near instant at a button press to basically instant, or whatever it may be. There also was a huge improvement in streaming. At this time, the Mikrotik router was still in place, with now all Araknis switches instead of Netgear, and the Ubiquiti AP's.

About a week ago, we decided to put the Araknis router in place and swap out the Mikrotik, and then we were going to setup the VLAN's he recommended. Everything switched over fine, with the exception of the MoCA adapter. Plug in the Ethernet from the MoCA adapter into the router or main switch, everything shuts down. Unplug it, everything works almost instantly upon removing it from the network. Did the reset of the adapter, same issue. Had an unused ECB2500c, as they came as a pair and I only needed one, tried that, same issue. Saw that they recently came out with an Actiontec ECB6200, got one of those, tried that, same problem. Expected that to be the case, but wanted to upgrade to MoCA 2.0 anyways and figured it was worth a try. Spoke with Actiontec and they said it's definitely an issue with the router. Integrator spoke to SnapAV and they acknowledged it could be on their end are looking into it. Still waiting to hear back, and in the meantime, my MoCA network is pretty weak without an adapter in place.

I can easily put the Mikrotik back in place. As mentioned, it's an RB2011UiAS-IN, so an older version. Is it worth it to get a newer one of their routers? I never really had much of an issue with it, but always like to upgrade things and wouldn't mind doing so if the new ones are significantly better on the hardware side.

Hosting Services by ipHouse