The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Wednesday January 20, 2016 at 10:23
KeithDBrown
Long Time Member
December 2013
On January 19, 2016 at 23:08, Ernie Gilman said...
Sure, it is. Try as we might, almost everyone is at least slightly racist in some way.

But my point is that Hollywood is being criticized for not giving awards to people of color, not for not giving awards to people of color who gave amazing performances last year. What list of performances did anyone give, saying this, or that, should have been rewarded?

I have heard plenty of discussions regarding who was worthy of an award. These are not my personal opinions as I haven't seen most of the movies in question, nor do I really have any idea if Hollywood is racist or not. But they following were specifically mentioned as potentially award worthy:
  • Idris Elba - Beasts of No Nation
  • Will Smith - Concussion
  • Michael B. Jordan - Creed
  • F. Gary Gray - Director of Straight Outta Compton
The breakdown here is that all of this is SO subjective. Maybe a completely unbiased panel decided that the actors/directors that were nominated simply were more deserving. Maybe it was blatant racism. Unfortunately because of the subjectivity it is incredibly difficult to determine if there was/wasn't an unfair bias based on race.

The real problem with regards to diversity in Hollywood might be related to opportunities for minorities in jobs behind the scenes, but again, these are all creative jobs and by nature subjective. Actors and directors of color who have made a lot of money for studios clearly have received their fair share of fame, income, etc.

Is it harder for an up and coming Black or Hispanic director to get an opportunity to prove themselves in the industry? Probably.

There clearly isn't a magic bullet. Creating separate categories for minorities would be pandering in the worst way. Forcing change by instituting some form of affirmative action would seem to be similarly misguided. It would seem the best plan is for those of us that do our best not to see color as something divisive to pass that on to our kids, and to do everything we can to show that love and concern for those around us.

Hosting Services by ipHouse