Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 27 made on Friday January 15, 2016 at 08:37
fcwilt
September 2003
On January 14, 2016 at 20:14, Fiasco said...
It's a practical matter because of the cost vs benefits. Contactors are cheap and easy to install. Contactors should be standard practice in all your future new construction (or retro upgrades where it can be installed without tearing into finished surfaces) for exterior lighting loads that are switched, have the chance of being extended or have the potential to take in water.

In 40 years of working in homes you have never seen a dimming circuit with a contactor because you can't dim a contactor. It's either on or off.

Where's the GFI protection? If it's holiday receptacles, it's at the receptacle. If it's lighting it's at the panel behind the 8ANS which will fry before the GFI trips.

Increasing the load outside of spec can happen, which is why you use a contactor. Just as long as the load is within the spec of the contactor/conductors/breaker it's no worry. Even if the load goes over spec, the 8ANS is protected and the service call is for line voltage and not low voltage. And, even then, the replacement part is a $30 contactor, not a $100 switch.

And what you describe is exactly why changing the bulbs is not a permanent solution, whereas a contactor is. I would fix it correctly the first time so I don't have to roll a truck on a service call down the road if someone changes the light bulbs.

Well you make some interesting points but I do not agree with your conclusions.

For one I never said anyone was trying to dim a contactor.

And the GFI will trip long before the dimmer will fry.

But your entitled to your opinions and as long as you meet code then do whatever you like.
Regards, Frederick C. Wilt

Hosting Services by ipHouse