Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 65 made on Thursday January 7, 2016 at 13:53
thecynic315
August 2008
On January 7, 2016 at 13:21, Impaqt said...
If >I< wrote the module, yes, its programming.

If I'm dragging in someone else's modules and connecting the dots, its Configuring.

You seem upset about something.

I've been doing real programming for 30+ years.... C++, Visual Basic, Some Java, xml/html... I even started with Fortran and Pascal on a Commodore Vic-20...

Other than digging into a few XML Savant profiles to make corrections or updates, I dont really "program" anymore. I think most guys that are doing Savant and Control4 nowadays would feel the same way.

The primary reason I'm still considered a "programmer" is because "Configurer" doesnt exactly roll off the tongue.

Doing real programming for half as long or so started with Turbo Pascal, but due to being under 40.

I don't see a difference between a module I get from Crestron and a DLL I download from github is all. I am trying to understand why you wouldn't see it the same way.

I don't consider SIMPL to be "real coding" which is really why I am rusty as all hell, but I still consider it programming.

The guys who make MMOs and place assets by clicking and using drop down menus are still programming.

All the guys I known, and all 3 gals, consider what we do in Crestron to be programming. We think of everything we do from our modules to architecture as IP, if the issue that we are discussing is how to protect our IP and why custom then first we have to recognize that what we are doing IS programming and the second is that IR, 232, and IP APIs need to be removed from compiled code.

Our modules etc, should just make function calls to a file and that file, as long as the name stays the same can be changed by any CI.

Hosting Services by ipHouse