The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Wednesday November 18, 2015 at 14:11
brent mccall
Long Time Member
May 2004
On November 18, 2015 at 11:20, SB Smarthomes said...
Hi Brent,

Thanks for the information... please provide a link to your blog in this thread once you post it.

I thought that HDCP 2.2 was exclusive to HDMI 2.0?

From a source, display, splitter or switching device, yes.
However from a carriage (cable or balun) standpoint, no.
And here is where it gets even more murky, just because you have an HDMI 2.0 chipset in your avr/display does not mean that you have HDCP 2.2 support in that device.  

Are you saying that's not true, or that HDBT extenders stating HDMI 1.4 can pass HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 because the extender doesn't care and may just be labeled HDMI 1.4 because packaging and marketing hasn't been updated?

HDBaseT extenders can pass 4k/60, 4:2:0 color because the needed bandwidth is less than the 10 Gbps capability of the unit.
HDBaseT extenders are invisible to any form of HDCP as they are considered a cable by the source.

Web search turned up devices with stated HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 from Atlona, Intelix and Zigen but I don't have experience with these manufacturers.  Information and specs on devices from other manufacturers seems incomplete or contradictory.

It absolutely is incomplete or contradictory, in many cases these companies really do not have a solid grasp of what is going on and just pick their products out of a China catalog.

It seems like all the extenders also work at shorter distances for 4k vs. 1080p so I might need to get more exact cable distances to ensure I'm within spec.

You can assume that sending any 4K over an HDBaseT extender will top out at 70% of rated distance.

I don't personally know anyone that's done this yet because the 4k sources are so new.

We have been testing this for over a year with great results.

Please read my latest blog on this.
http://www.metrahometheatergroup.blogspot.com/
Brent McCall
Envy, it is a dirty emotion.

Hosting Services by ipHouse