Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Saturday September 12, 2015 at 11:18
gwstudios
June 2004
I don't believe HomeKit will put a dent in CI sales. I don't think they actually get it, and by that I mean waving your hands around with a Kinect-like, voice control, even that ridiculous remote that has no buttons. You pick it up, hold it 90 degrees perpendicular and twist it to perform certain functions.

Hard buttons are still wanted by some, but touch screens have been widely accepted due to the success and low price of smart phones and tablets. Even the Microsoft Kinect days of being used as a gaming motion controller are over. It is basically a webcam for live broadcasting as they find ways to force it into other games to keep it relevant.

Cort cutting and consolidation sounds great, but I need to have my DirecTV, AppleTV and gaming systems all separate. I am fairly sure the wealthier clients who can afford this gear will not be looking for a one box video solution any time soon. HomeKit will slowly phase out over time and I think CarPlay will probably be a dud too. Almost every new vehicle comes with Bluetooth integration, optional GPS and satellite radio. Having your texts read aloud while driving sounds great, but is one of those features that you would probably use a few times and forget about.

Also consider that commercial control (large bars & restaurants) is so specialized and complicated, the only solution is custom integration and a decent size touch screen. And to all the people who say "I'll just use the iOS apps to control all my gear"... have fun with that.

Smart TV app, DirecTV app, Remote app for AppleTV, Smart Glass for XBOX, Nest app, and another for Lutron or Sonos. 16 screen presses and swipes to do one simple macro function with proper gear. I said it before and I will say it again. A proper demo can close just about any sale. You need to show a simple single room solution with a lower priced hard button / touch screen and a multi-room solution on something tablet sized.

If anyone brings up HomeKit, just remind them this has been tried many times and has always failed. BTW, I remember that very well done LifeWare booth at CEDIA in Denver. That was about the time Toshiba convinced me HD-DVD was superior to Blu Ray and was going to win the format war. I still have every demo disc they (Toshiba, Sony and Dolby) gave out, sealed.

Hosting Services by ipHouse