Pass:

Original thread:
Post 37 made on Friday June 5, 2015 at 17:15
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Flypaper syndrome... NICE.

On June 4, 2015 at 23:34, Mogul said...
The word "Hispanic" did not exist prior to the Nixon administration...It is an artificial identity created for political and economic reasons.

While Nixon may have seemed to come from the 1500s, he didn't. The word has been around since the late 1500s. [Researched by me, a long-time dictionary reader.]

On June 4, 2015 at 19:51, Mr. Stanley said...
Spanish speaking people are hispanic whether they are from Mexico, or Latin America. Brazilians and Portuguese (who speak Portuguese) are NOT hispanics, and you're throwing gas on a fire if you refer to them as Hispanic or Mexican. just sayin'

From Merriam-Webster, which I believe means that this definition reveals the scholarly American attitude about the word (which itself means it could be PC BS:
Full Definition of HISPANIC

1: of or relating to the people, speech, or culture of Spain or of Spain and Portugal
2: of, relating to, or being a person of Latin American descent living in the United States; especially : one of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin

The proliferation of the word "Hispanic" occurred, as I remember it, during the Reagan administration. That, and calling ketchup a vegetable, were two ridiculous gaffes made by that administration. Oh, yeah: and Iran-Contra.

Brazilians have a LOT of Brazilian pride, and speak Portuguese---it's almost like a little racism deal going on down there! Skin color is also a big deal down there. The darker the skin, the lower on the social scale. Its similar to some uh, other countries! (wink-wink) 8>)

My ex is Cuban and revealed that Cubans look down on Mexicans; Mexicans call blacks "negritos," which has the tang you think it might have, and this is present day, not 1950s. (Though if you watch any Mexican TV you will see they are still strongly rooted in the 1950s.)

On June 5, 2015 at 00:59, Mr. Stanley said...
True. Good point hence the term: "Spics". Kind of like the "N" word if you are from Mexico.

Sigh. It's so easy to look this stuff up, but the major exercise going on here is jumping. To conclusions.
Merriam Webster again:
Origin of SPIC

by shortening & alteration from spiggoty, of unknown origin
First Known Use: 1916
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse