The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Thursday January 8, 2015 at 12:55
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On January 8, 2015 at 03:15, Brad Humphrey said...
Ernie,
He did indeed leave out the exact configuration. But I guessed the (7) Episode 500T are part of the 7.1 surround system.

I might have done that if he had not written

On January 7, 2015 at 22:14, BrettLee3232 said...
Simple 5.1 setup in living room.

By then the two lists were different enough that I didn't trust
Zone 2 consists of (2) kitchen speakers & (3) outdoor speakers.

On January 8, 2015 at 08:50, highfigh said...
FWIW, I have never had a problem with a receiver going into protection unless it saw a bad load, had a problem or was cranked to WOT. ANY time I install a system, I limit the maximum output level that's available to the end user because if they can crank it too high, they will and it doesn't matter whether it's accidental or intentional. If I'm using volume controls, I leave Zone 2 volume Fixed because there's no reason to make it possible for someone to use the AVR to decrease the level of Zone 2- if one person does that and someone else has decreased the level on the wall-mounted (or SSVC box) without knowing, someone will be receiving a service call. If I'm using no wall-mounted volume controls, I leave the volume limit at -10dB and set the control to Variable.

All GREAT advice.

I first learned about this problem with a Denon whose remote had push buttons to cycle between amp - tuner - multi control. Sure, I had an integrated remote on the system, a Marantz RC5200 at the time, but the daughter came to visit, eschewed the Marantz, and found the well-hidden (I thought) Denon remote. The fact that it did not have batteries daunted her not one whit; she got batteries and proceeded to invent this FU.

She wanted to use the radio, so switched to tuner. Then she discovered how to switch the remote to tuner control, and selected a station. She then pushed that function button one more time, landing herself on multi control, and turned up the volume. The VCs on the external speakers were all the way down, so she didn't hear any change. She had turned Zone 2 volume up all the way but did not realize it. She figured out that she had to hit the button one more time to get back to AMP control, she did so, and all was well. Then two days later, apparently the station that the tuner was on sent out a nice thump and the receiver quit dead. Service call. It was quite a surprise when I figured it out.

I have a Denon AVR-2313CI and my speakers don't present a simple load.

No speaker or speaker system presents a simple load. In well-designed speakers there's a resonance in the bass which results in a spike in impedance, then an area where the impedance drops to about the nominal value. The impedance above there depends on the number of drivers and whether those drivers have Zobel networks on them. And yes, some speakers designed without attention to the impedance curve sometimes offer horribly low impedance at certain frequencies. I've seen one that went below 2 ohms where the designer wanted very sharp cutoff of a woofer at a low frequency, and the did not know about looking at impedance curves.

I tested them and the impedance curve isn't flat or smooth, but I have had no instances of the receiver going into protection when using two or more channels.

It is never flat. Not smooth isn't a problem for an amp. You're bringing up facts that aren't relevant. I'm just trying to tell you not to spend too much time thinking about the impedance unless there's a very low point in the curve; and for that to be a problem it pretty much has to be in the bass.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse