The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 31 made on Wednesday November 19, 2014 at 10:31
Daniel Tonks
Wrangler of Remotes
October 1998
On November 19, 2014 at 01:34, SysIntegration said...
That's like being on a four year old receiver like an Integra 40.1 and complaining that you can't pass 4k or decode atmos.

I think to those affected, it feels a bit more like Integra providing an automatic update to the 40.1 that supposedly passes 4k and decodes Atmos... but does neither in a usable fashion (because it's impossible), causes everything that was once working fine to either break or become barely usable, and, oh, you're not allowed to get the old software back. So if you don't like hobbling, you'd better buy a 40.6 if you want to use your home theater again.

Sure, it's great that Apple provides free updates to older hardware, but clearly there is some hardware that should NOT be updated. It shouldn't even be an option (never mind a pop-up prompting that I'm sure the vast majority of users just click "ok" on).

Apple has total control over both their software and hardware. They know exactly what you're running and exactly how well something will or will not run, because you're using one of only a small number of possible combinations... unlike Microsoft, who (with Windows) has to deal with millions of possible combinations and decades of older hardware that is potentially "compatible".

Knowing that, it's hard to believe that Apple is somehow incapable of determining how poorly an update will run on model X. In fact, it's ludicrous. I guess sometimes planned obsolescence just needs a kick in the pants!

The OTA updates update the OS in such a way as they only modify the things that have changed since the last release. A full restore / update in itunes rewipes the entire firmware and writes it fresh. Which one do you think works more accurately.

"Accurately?" If Apple hasn't figured out reliable delta updates, they should really work on that. With that said, I personally haven't had any problems with my iDevices and live updates.

Hosting Services by ipHouse