The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 19 made on Sunday October 26, 2014 at 16:38
Anthony
Ultimate Member
May 2001
On October 26, 2014 at 12:01, Ernie Gilman said...
wall wart with a 3" or 6" cable will hang from the plug with more force on the plug than the blue power supply, so it's more likely to come loose. That's a reason not to have a cord that short. Even 12" might be too short. It has to be plug into a normal house outlet, usually 12" to 16" off the floor, then not hang by the wire. That might even be a UL requirement, who knows?

I disagree with it being an issue any more than true wart but they were just examples so if you like better how about a 16" cable?

No product that plugs into the wall can legally be sold in the City of Los Angeles unless it is UL approved.

yeah I know for some places it is a rule. But the point still remains meaningless since
a) the device can be sold in surrounding areas that don't have such code in their laws
b) it is sales and not usage. So it is not a big deal for anything plugged in.
c) can you tell me what would be the "penalty" if a shop is selling none UL certified equipment? and how many inspectors LA has to search out such brigands?

Well, duh: that's the entire freakin' reason for going with an external power supply! A manufacturer can have twenty products that only see low voltage; use external, UL approved wall warts, and when they want to introduce a new product, that product does not need to have its power supply approved by UL, costing time and money.

not sure what you mean since it has nothing to do with what I said

let's say someone in LA goes to a computer store to buy a computer, are you saying it would be illegal for that shop to sell him a desktop with the specs he wants unlike a laptop?

That's irrelevant. The fact that it is not only for power supplies has nothing to do with the subject, which is its requirement for power supplies.

no it is not, look at the power cord you bought or that graphics card for your computer...... you are assuming it is either external power supply or the whole device. That is wrong

You don't see the lack of need for UL, or CE, certification of each product to be an advantage for the manufacturer? This is not just ease of manufacture, though that is true. It also lowers the cost of manufacture.

CE is different since it is the EU UL is a company that sells a service, but you are still missing the obvious because you are assuming it only applies to power supplies, it does not anything electrical needs the same certification be it internal or external.

Okay, except that is the subject of interest at the moment.

that is not what I meant. I am saying that the exact reasons and making an ordered list is not that important. In the fundamentals we agree that there are many reasons why an external power supply makes sense

Once again, you do not seem to want to see the cost of doing it one way versus the other. The supply on the left is cheaper to make than the supply on the right. The cost of the two different enclosures are very different, the wall wart being much cheaper.

Can you tell me exactly how much, since you appear to know?

Hosting Services by ipHouse