The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 48 made on Tuesday June 24, 2014 at 09:07
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On June 23, 2014 at 23:47, Lowhz said...
In my experience as a disty and rep, most jobs are "already pushing their budget", so that likely won't happen soon.

I just walked a large job for a consult on URC TC and stated right up front that we need to own the network, no Telco or EU supplied gear if they want it to work right. Make it part of the budget.

If their budgets are really pushing envelope, the integrators who are running into maxed out budgets aren't doing their job correctly. Once the system requirements are discovered and BEFORE a single piece is spec'd, the point must be made that the network needs to meet certain criteria. Only then, can the rest of the system work as planned. We don't make much on most TVS or BD players, we have to at least come close to many online prices or risk losing that part of the sale and the actual sale of Sonos is more of a favor than a way to make money on the product. These loss-leaders do, however, come with the possibility to make money on the installation, parts sales and setup, so it's not a waste of our time. That said, a system consisting of a boatload of really good equipment on a network that frequently loses connections, slows down because it's being overtaxed and needs to be reset on a regular basis CAN'T be considered to be "well-designed".

If someone's budget is maxed out and the integrator didn't tell them they should leave about 10% on the table for contingencies, I'd say it's the integrator's fault. It's OUR job to find out what the client wants, it's often OUR job to read between the lines when they don't tell us everything and it's OUR job to deliver on our perceived promises but if we don't explain the importance of quality network equipment in a way they understand, we'll have little chance of being 'finished' with the job because of the return trips.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse