The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 171 made on Tuesday April 8, 2014 at 15:32
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On April 8, 2014 at 14:20, David Haddad said...
Let me see if I got this:

"Liberals are the worst when it comes to coexistence".
"Conservatives think that liberals are wrong but liberals think that conservatives are evil".
"Only liberals shout down conservatives".

No. I said that liberals shout down conservatives but conservatives don't shout down liberals.

"the liberal does not engage in dialogue but instead shuts down the discussion by claiming SIX HIRB."
"the liberal refuses to expose himself to alternate ideas."

I see what you did there Ernie. You're trying to be ironic and pretend you lack the self-awareness to realize that you just engaged in multiple vast over-generalizations vilifying liberals, to give an example of how liberals engage in vast over-generalizations vilifying conservatives.

I believe I said that liberals do things the wrong way. I did not say they are evil.

You're a genius.

Well, that's debatable.

I could be wrong but I bet you were even intentionally showing how confirmation bias can cause one to interpret events such that they always reinforce ones beliefs. So that for instance, one intensely notices all attempts of one side to "stifle discussion" while ignoring all attempts by the other side to "stifle discussion".

List the occasions on which conservatives have shouted down liberal speakers, or universities have rejected liberal speakers. I almost hope you don't try because there are so many examples of liberals keeping conservatives from speaking that I don't want to have to write a post that long.

Now that I've appreciated what a self-aware genius you are, here's what I suspect you were really trying to say for those who don't appreciate your subtlety.

Note that you were using irony to call me a name, instead of simply addressing the issues. I claim liberals do that; you seem to confirm it.

1. Some conservatives and liberals give lip service to free speech but quickly try to silence those they disagree with.

I don't know why you're hung up on the idea, which I never stated, that conservatives try to silence those they disagree with. The couple of conservative talks show hosts to whom I listen are chosen by me in part because they always want to get the disagreeing conversations on the air! They discuss things!

2. It's best not to engage in vast over-generalizations saying what "conservatives think" or "liberals think", but rather to address specific points.

I addressed that already.

3. And so on and on.

...This is you, who claim I (incorrectly) generalize and don't speak of specifics? Your interpretation, done through your consciousness with your mode of thinking, is all generalization. "And so on and on" is pretty non-specific!
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse