Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 18 made on Monday April 7, 2014 at 16:57
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Regarding a "science project: --

On April 6, 2014 at 15:16, highfigh said...
Depends on how soon it's needed and availability.

Exactly.

When I needed one, the local distributor had fired the only person who had a freaking clue, so they couldn't help. I found the answer here, so I made one- took a whole ten minutes and I didn't have to drive across town, where all of the distributors are located.

Not on a client's system? How do you think Xantech makes these- Keebler elves?

No, but the elves they use have the ability to mold the connectors so the diodes and the wire junctions disappear into a smooth bump kind of like the Little Prince's image of a snake that had eaten an elephant:

Are we not in the Custom Integration business? It's not rocket surgery- two diodes and a bit of cable. That's all.

It's more like rocket first aid, in that it's pretty simple. But compared to everything else in the wiring, it will look pretty ugly.

And now that it appears to be disco'd, what would YOU suggest? It works, it's cheap and the parts are easily available. I don't see a problem.

And truth be told, one day I didn't have a 789-44 so I made one using a Radio Shack Euro style connecting block and four resistors. Really. That's all that's in there. It actually cost as much as a 789-44 because of the labor involved, but was way more ugly (but, on the positive side, intimidating!)
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse