Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 22 made on Wednesday April 2, 2014 at 11:01
MikeZTC
June 2007
On April 2, 2014 at 02:28, Ernie Gilman said...
I cannot imagine the Cobranet would be considered, as I think it's a pretty expensive addition to the mix. Mike, what amount of money would need to be added to do what you're thinking of?

The config I described (Frame, six amp cards, transformer rack, cobranet input device) is $6k in equipment with a good margin. The system could do anything that was mentioned in this thread, plus numerous other features that haven't been discussed. I'd sell this system without batting an eye. Add a Crestron processor and touch panel for another $1,500, about $5k-6k in labor, and for $13k all of the problems magically disappear. Far from "cost no object".

I'd have much less than zero problem running audio on the 16 gauge wire. I'm telling you to run it as the output of a low-powered 70 volt amp. It's relatively low impedance, which itself immunizes it somewhat from inducted noise.

That's not what you said. Or maybe not what the OP and myself interpreted your statement as. You said to run unbalanced line level over speaker cable, which is a bad idea.

Cubitus, you single out lack of shielding on an audio cable as a potential problem, but an audio balun does exactly that using CAT5. Shielding is not the necessity we used to think it was. Examine how a twisted cable rejects induced noise to understand this.

So you're proposing to fix $100 system by providing a $100 system?

The 16-2 is undoubtedly not twisted very much, so I'd be depending on the low source impedance to keep out interference.

No. Just no.
MikeZTC, CTS-D, CTS-I, DMC-E

Hosting Services by ipHouse