The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Friday February 21, 2014 at 11:05
David Haddad
Long Time Member
September 2005
On February 21, 2014 at 03:07, Ernie Gilman said...
A liability waiver does not stop you from being sued, which is a bit different from being held liable but can still bankrupt you, if THE CLIENT does something negligent.

Those are called GFCIs. Have electricians' liabilities increased since those became standard?

Ernie, a GFCI still cannot be placed right at the edge of a tub, hence my analogy. And in the instance where code allows the use of a GFCI, the critical difference is that it's manufactured by a company in the business of manufacturing them, insured to do so, and going through a safety approval process such as UL.

Not by an electrician trying to build a life safety device himself as a one-off project on a job.

People! Haven't we seen pictures of living room after living room with paintings above the mantle? Do you suppose hundreds of years of decorating like that has continued despite repeated fires?

Ernie, I was going by what he said, you appear to be going by what you imagine he said :p.

On February 20, 2014 at 18:47, cmo said...
the interior designer has decided to plant an electric fire - live flame directly below it!

I took him at his word, as he didn't saw "I've got a screen coming down above the mantle of a fireplace. Also, I don't know what this has to do with a television that gets placed *above* the mantle, a screen typically comes down well past a mantle. Finally I then said this, notice the word "if" as a qualifier (emphasis mine).

On February 21, 2014 at 00:13, David Haddad said...

1. **If** there is a fire potential here NOTHING you do can free you from liability if you knowingly install a screen that when in the down position could catch on fire.

Last edited by David Haddad on February 21, 2014 11:13.

Hosting Services by ipHouse