The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 27 made on Tuesday October 15, 2013 at 19:40
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On October 15, 2013 at 16:32, juliejacobson said...
DIYs can be great clients since labor is billed (or should be billed) by the hour and therefore profits are predictable.

But make sure you sell them DIY products (irule, Sonos, etc.) rather than those (RTI) that they are not allowed to tweak.

Too many DIY-ers come back with comments that begin with "But, I read.....", "I heard...." and questions starting with "Can't you just....?" to make most of them worthwhile. If they get in trouble, I have no problem getting the equipment to work (if possible) but some want to be the expert and that's a royal PITA.

I have no problem with customers who inform themselves- they're more likely to know what they want, anyway, but when someone doesn't understand any technology or bother to read up on what they're dealing with, they can't even tell us what they want, much less get it to work. These people also try to change the scope of the project mid-stream and that doesn't necessarily work out well. If they're willing to pay for un-doing a lot of cabling, fine, but that isn't always the case. They seem to think that the end result determines the price, when they disregard the intermediate slow-downs for reversing/adding technology. In some cases, it can require changing a lot of the equipment that was original to the design.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse