Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Sunday June 9, 2013 at 22:11
Audible Solutions
March 2004
On June 9, 2013 at 21:11, Greg C said...
I'm in Mac's camp. Consistent GUI from room to room is our design.

I hear this all of the time. I hear how important that every icon be the same size and all other GUI verities and my experience is that it just does not matter--and it never has. How many jobs had small and large panels? How many panels have different types of navigation? If you think about it your car radio works one way, your phone an other, iPad one way, Android an other an no client has any issues.

This is yet one more BS vertie that has infiltrated this industry from graphic design for which there is no empirical evidence. If you think about it, satellite IRDs have one GUI, cable boxes an other, BD yet an other and yet clients manage--and we can do nothing about this since all we are able to do is emulate what commands the device allows.

There is NEVER a consistent GUI. There is a consistent skin and that is not the same thing. Small panels have to operate differently than large panels since there is not the same space. A room with a keypad has different navigation than one with a keypad. A ML600 or any other remote operates differently than most all touch panels. Even if you're using top or bottom menus you do not have the same room to offer the same set of choices. Are small panels global? How about mid-size panels like the 6L or TSW-6? Till now, few of us have been able to make our TSW panels have the same skin as iPads. Does it matter?

I'm no fan of using the TV as a UI save for video sources. But it is the least expensive route into control. I have no clue about the marketing advantages. Has Vudu been helped by being included as an app on devices? Having a presence at the low end must be useful. But consistent UI is just one more BS being preached without any evidence that it does anything but give someone some other bit of received wisdom to preach from on high.
"This is a Christian Country,Charlie,founded on Christian values...when you can't put a nativiy scene in front fire house at Christmas time in Nacogdoches Township, something's gone terribly wrong"

Hosting Services by ipHouse