The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 40 made on Sunday December 16, 2012 at 10:23
Anthony
Ultimate Member
May 2001
On December 15, 2012 at 16:14, Fins said...
On documented fact that is being left out of this discussion, the more convienent something becomes,the more impulsive the purchases become. When you have to go to the grocery store that is several miles and has long lines for milk, you are more likely to plan ahead on your shopping. But when the convienent store opens at the end of your street, you stop planning your purchases as much. You also grab an individual sized bag of chips and an ice cream bar with the milk. Convienence made you pay more, plan less, and buy stuff you didn't need.

I disagree, you are equating impulse with spending $ and buying more. I don't see it that way in this discussion. To continue your analogy when I go to Park X (the Greek neighbourhood of Montreal) I stock up on Greek stuff, I don't know if I will really need all of them or when I will use them but I don't know when I will be back either, same with China town and Little Italy. On the other hand when I go to the grocery store near my place there is no such need since if it is not a weekly special, I can always go back tomorrow or the next day if I found out I need it and it might just be fresher. Same here, right now I have over 50 unseen films and TV series (that means stuff I purchased because when I was at the store/on-line I decided "I know I will eventually want to see it so why not buy it now", but let's face it, if I could get the same quality instantaneously when I felt like watching it, what would be the benefit of having unwatched films?

It doesn't get more convienent than buying a movie with a remote. But I don't see a lot of planning going into the purchase. I think Alan is right, it's a very spontaneous transaction. Especially considering the precedence that iTunes and Vudu have established.

I disagree on convenience, but I think I have a different definition (for me it is not as convenient as having the film at home because I can't get what I want with a remote and the disk was bought hours/days/weeks/months before hand when it made sense and so it is on-hand in the player before the projector is even on). But to me the no planning and spontaneity is why I disagree with your first part.

Hosting Services by ipHouse