The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 37 made on Saturday December 15, 2012 at 16:02
Anthony
Ultimate Member
May 2001
On December 15, 2012 at 14:12, Audible Solutions said...
I look at my life and the lives of my clients and while a few fit your description most do not. These are impulse purchases. It's raining, there is nothing on the 300 channels so you look at what is available to rent. On occasion, it's a Saturday and you want Family night movies. Again, most don't know what they want to watch, and it becomes an impulse purchase.

Yes, I can watch my 3 DVD ( yes, I said DVD, not BD )collection of "Smiley's People" endlessly. My wife will not and for my girls it depends on their mood. They'd rather go to Internet streaming sites to watch eposidic TV shows they've missed. They care not a wit for quality.

I agree, that for renters it is impulse, but this K, and not Netflix. The guy that will have a K and go to their online store to buy a film won't be a renter but a buyer since there is no rental option and he will have to purchase it in order to see it

That is why I am giving my perspective on the subject as a buyer and not a renter. Since it is hard for renters to grasp it (like why will someone pay 30$ for a movie when they can rent it for much less)

If you are a subscriber to Ultra-Violet and you get BD quality discs downloaded transparently and you just chose and watch you may have an audience. Otherwise you are retricting yourself to a vew collectors and there are far fewer of these than there used to be--judging from my clients. Convenience and ease of use sell; quality does not. These are often Type A personality types so they "could" exhibit this behvior but I have found that while they could they chose not to devote brain power to these matters.

They want new or something they have not seen in years.

As for EST the simple reality is that be it K's proprietary high quality long loads or UV or Vudu or apple, none of them amount to much and are smaller than niche. All together for the first 3/4 of the year they made up ~.5B in an industry worth~6B

[Link: degonline.org]

Now for renters I agree, convenience and price are important and large quality DL would most likely not work because it tends to be a lot more about wasting a few hours and being able to say to friends "I saw it" then about enjoying the film (and why under rental it is more or less 50/50 between digital and physical but for sales it is not even close.

Hosting Services by ipHouse