The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 37 made on Monday March 26, 2012 at 14:29
SB Smarthomes
July 2007
On March 26, 2012 at 13:45, GLS said...
How are you getting the switch legs down low? Wire stretcher? Are they all being rewired? Are you able to get to the loads/lights?

Most of the wiring comes through conduit in the slab foundation so lowering the dimmers wont be much of a problem.  Some do come from above, but I think the electrian can use an oversized box for the keypads and use this as a junction to extend down where necessary.

So they won't let the dimmers themselves be visible if the blank plate idea doesn't fly?

Well if the blank plate idea doesn't work, then they'll have to live with the switches or pay to have them relocated.  Client has money, but I think they will live with the switches rather than try to relocate them... electrician gave them a ball-park estimate of $10k-$15k to relocate them to hidden areas.

I think it would look a lot worse to move the switches down low and keep them visible than to just keep them where they are.  I really don't have a problem with the blank wall plate down low painted to match the wall.  Few people would notice this, but I'm sure that everyone who came to the house would ask why they had light switches down by the floor.

If you could do it without removing the faceplate it would be better. Maybe a small access panel that could be painted, and you could install the dimmers behind that. If they aren't all ganged together it would help them breathe as well. Might have to get something custom made.

Good luck. That's a tough situation.
G.

Already talking to the GC about this.  Considering some type of vented panel to cover the switches, just have to be sure that it's RF friendly.  The result might be a small niche recessed into the walls down low with the switches installed normally and a decorative cover to conceal.

Have to get the electrician started in the next couple days and designer left yesterday for 2 weeks out of the country so may have to throw this on her when she returns to work out how to hide them.
www.sbsmarthomes.com
Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Hosting Services by ipHouse