The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 34 made on Monday March 26, 2012 at 13:45
GLS
October 2005
On 1332600620, SB Smarthomes said...
Can anyone confirm if a RA2 dimmer switch will fit behind a blank wall plate if you remove the front cover, LED light pipe and that little clear plastic piece that makes contact with the switches down on the circuit board?

Take one apart and try it in a single gang box. The blank screws go into the same holes that you are screwing the dimmer into though, so that may be a problem.
|
Doing a retrofit/remodel and have several banks of switches (4-7 gang) with no where to hide the switches.  Crazy idea is to place the switches down low at outlet height with a blank cover over them painted to match the wall and then use a wall keypad for control.

How are you getting the switch legs down low? Wire stretcher? Are they all being rewired? Are you able to get to the loads/lights?
|
Client and designer don't want to see the switches, but no closets or accessible attic or crawls space to hide them... this is the only thing I could come up with to minimize the visual impact.

So they won't let the dimmers themselves be visible if the blank plate 
idea doesn't fly?

|
Won't work unless I can strip off the front of the switches and get a blank to fit over the top.  I was worried about the air-gap disconnect that swings out from the front of the switch disabling the switch if the cover is removed, but I'm pretty sure the switches still work with the cover  off.

Other issue might be heat dissipation?

The dimmers lose heat through the frame and faceplate. Ever notice how dimmers get warm when they have been on a while? It could shorten the life of the dimmers. Might even be a fire hazard, though that might be stretching it. It will probably negate the UL listing by doing that, and that is what the AHJ will have the most problem with. You are using a device in a manner that it wasn't intended or designed for. Code just says that they have to be accessible, and they are.

If you could do it without removing the faceplate it would be better. Maybe a small access panel that could be painted, and you could install the dimmers behind that. If they aren't all ganged together it would help them breathe as well. Might have to get something custom made.

Good luck. That's a tough situation.
G.
www.GordonsLight.com
"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Hosting Services by ipHouse