Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday March 16, 2012 at 08:17
Marcus_D
Lurking Member
March 2012
Hi All,

I posted this in the pronto forum, but I was advised to put it in here as it's more a HDMI/CEC problem...

Just upgraded my AV setup and have come across a little niggle that perhaps someone else has worked around.

Running a Sony KDL-46EX723 and STR-DH820 Amp plus other things. My problem is finding the best of both worlds... I like the HDMI control over the amp as it allows me to see the volume level of the amp on the TV (the amp is in a cupboard where I can not see it, and there is no volume indication anyway)

I have an ir extender so direct control is no problem, so I can turn the HDMI control off. But then I can't SEE how loud the amp is. I can hear how loud it is but that is sometimes problematic when I play something in the night and the kids have been playing something loud earlier...!!! The other situation is when I want to listen to the radio, which comes in from my cable TV box. It's nice to see the TV to change the 'channel' to radio. But then you want to turn the television off...

So is there a way to keep HDMI control on and have the television power off without powering down the amp.

I had a trawl round the postings here and the rest of the net but I can't find anything on this subject.

I have tried discrete power off but that still powers down the amp.
I can turn off HDMI control but then I don't know how loud the amp is.

My current solution is to have the HDMI control on, power off the television and then send the amps input select to power the amp back up. This works fine...

But what it does do is power off the amp long enough for the computer to loose sight of the amp and switch from multichannel on the Radeon card to stereo. To fix that the computer needs to be rebooted with the amp on.

So just a niggle but has anyone found another workaround for this?

Cheers,

Marcus

Hosting Services by ipHouse