The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 22 made on Monday January 23, 2012 at 14:31
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On January 22, 2012 at 11:16, rmalbers said...
The incorrect network wiring thing has always kind of bothered me.... [he] was wiring up whole 3 bedroom houses with finished basements like that, I couldn't believe it. I really feel sorry for the home owners who end up stuff like that. My comments were/are kind of directed more to others who might see this thread and think it's an ok thing to do, you know.

In the late nineties, the late nineties, I was called on to add satellite to a new spec home that had been built into the side of a hill.

The driveway led up to the garage; stairs led up to three stories above that. The garage was at one end of the house. The idiot who designed the house cabling had run three RG-59 (in the late nineties!), one to each floor; on each floor, each cable daisy-chained through two-way splitters so that the signal at the far end was 12 dB lower than at the garage end of the house.

I changed the design so the cable signal was boosted like 20 dB before it went up to the floors, and then drop taps dropped signal across each floor.

But they wanted satellite, too. I was able to diplex satellite to the end of the house closest to the garage, but that was it.

Idiots.

Last edited by Ernie Gilman on January 23, 2012 14:45.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse