Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 20 made on Thursday December 2, 2010 at 08:51
Audible Solutions
March 2004
On November 15, 2010 at 11:44, motech said...
crestron is coming out with their internet radio card.
hopefully they will add pandora to it soon...
but it will already have sirius over the internet (i believe).

There was a response on an other site from a manufacturer who wanted to provide Pandora integration that stated that Pandora had little interest in this channel because it would not generate sufficient sales to peak their interest.

You are seeing Pandora in TVs and Bluray players but these are mass market items with huge sell throughs. It took me some time till I realized that the CI channel is just too small. Once we had some cachet because we'd sell the ulta-profitable high end big screens. But since even big screens are now commodities we've lost all cachet with CE manufacturers. CI sales get the national sales manager his bonus. But CI sales have no effect on his job.

Can Crestron obtain a Pandora license? I'm beginning to think they may not be large enough to interest Pandora since their license may not generate Pandora the sales figures it hopes to obtain. I think the same paradigm is happening with Sonos. They don't see much benefit in providing 3rd party integration since it will not generate additional sales of their products that will meaningfully impact their bottom line. In fact it could negatively impact their profitability by incrasing their tech support calls.

You guys are all saying you'd sell tons of their products. But the reality, in stark numbers, is that total sales of this channel interest no CE manufacturer. Apple sold more iPads in a week that Crestron does in multiple years. The aggravation/profit calculation comes out against us--save for the intrepid individual willing to provide a reverse-engineered solution ( in the case of Sonos ) or integration in some other device such as Squeezebox that has released a SDK. They offer closed solutions with tested, easily installed products. You want Sonos to adapt a solution that will generate 3rd party touch panel sales and 3rd party DA products--all that use their service. Why would Sonos do that?

Alan
"This is a Christian Country,Charlie,founded on Christian values...when you can't put a nativiy scene in front fire house at Christmas time in Nacogdoches Township, something's gone terribly wrong"

Hosting Services by ipHouse