The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 23 made on Tuesday November 2, 2010 at 09:02
randman
Long Time Member
June 2003
I also did some research last weekend upon learning of Pronto's unfortunate demise, and came to the same conclusions others have felt - that there is no DIY remote that is as powerful (e.g. IR, RF, RS-232, etc.) as the Pronto line. There are some very good remotes for non-DIY folks, but for DIY folks, not having access to the software is a deal breaker.

The latest Pronto remotes (e.g. TSU9400, TSU9600, etc) are powerful and competitive enough relative to other remotes that I can see myself using the Pronto line for some years to come until something better comes along.

I don't like the lack of hard buttons on the iOS (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) devices and on Android. Great for running macros, but for some things like channel surfing, using a DVR and fast forwarding, rewinding, the lack of hard buttons is not desirable. iPad is a bit of an overkill too. I'd rather use an iPhone or iPod Touch. They're smaller, and in the case of iPhone, something I'd always have with me (plus, I can employ my old iPhones for dedicated remote use). Apple has a great remote app for iOS that controls the Apple TV & iTunes. So, I can see the benefits of an iOS remote. But I would miss the hard buttons...

I'm not familiar with the Nuvo line, but from what I've seen of other remotes, there's no good alternative right NOW. So, as others have said, we have good Pronto remotes, good software, a good forum here, so why not continue to use the Pronto for the indefinite future until a clearly better DIY remote becomes avalable? In addition to a TSU 9400, I still use a TSU 7500, whose software hasn't been updated in years.

Hosting Services by ipHouse