The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 76 made on Monday November 1, 2010 at 14:16
husa550
Long Time Member
April 2008
On November 1, 2010 at 12:07, Barry Gordon said...
Dave, any one who has a basic knowledge about programming and can read English can decipher XML to the degree necessary to understand the makeup of an xcf. The Pronto team never told me, nor I suspect anyone else, the makeup of an xcf file, and I built a full parser for an xcf.

The only reason I would like to see them sell the product line is to provide employment for the Pronto team. I would really like them to put together all the IP and put it into the Public domain so the Pronto can become an Open source software system. If that happened I bet there are some Asian manufacturers that might pick up the hardware or make a compatible piece of hardware (an iPad with buttons). People on this forum would handle the code base. Think XBMC.

There is a startup called iRule whose roadmap is a sophisticated GUI based editor (~$50) that is at this moment in time like PEP-0.1. It builds an app for the iPad that you can then load into the iPad. Some interesting facts.

iRule runs in the Google cloud, nothing on your machine.
Backups are done in the cloud by the cloud
Possible issue is a major Google failure
No software distribution issues
Privacy - well that is a trust issue as it always is
Any machine/OS that runs a decent browser works

iPad app is approved by apple. You buy the iRule app at the iTunes store, cost $0.0. No Jail-breaking required. iRule builds the equivalent of an xcf and downloads it to the iPad/iRule app when you sync your iPad to iRule. One button touch.

They are looking at writing an xcf converter for at least the graphics portion. Would give a Pronto owner a 50% leg up on a conversion, maybe more.

The iPad handles only IP/Wifi and iRule requires the use of gateways for such things as IR and serial communications. Sound familiar?. IP at this time is one way only, and I think the same is true of serial communications.

They, iRule, have an extensive IR library. They have a moderate IP and serial Comm Library. They support the Global Cache family as their "Official" Gateway. This includes the iTach which is very nice.

Their support staff is getting very high marks on the forums.

One of the principals of the company is always active on the forum answering questions, providing support and accepting ideas for implementation.

I am working with them in a consulting role (They know I will not discuiss any Pronto information that is not in the public domain). I believe they may also be talking to Lyndel.

I am starting to convert my Theater system to the iPad using iRule just to see what it takes and be able to offer good advice. I am doing it manually, no translation of the xcf which they agree with me is fairly reasonable, not simple, not difficult, but reasonable.

I like the company since they are dedicated to the concept of the iPad as a home controller.

I am also looking at the native iPad with Cocoa framework to directly implement code on the iPad but that is a whole other endeavor for next years timeframe.

Right now I have a 9800 that completely controls my Home theater just the way I want, and 9600/9400 in all rooms of the house for TV, and Home automation control.

The IPad is a mountain that is there and I do like to climb.

I came across iRule yesterday and i think it look´s pretty promising!

Hosting Services by ipHouse