The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 72 made on Monday November 1, 2010 at 11:03
Matthew Zenkar
Long Time Member
January 2006
Unfortunately, I was expecting this given the restricted access to the pro web site, and the availability of remotes decreasing (B&H, and others, I'm sure, don't sell at least TSU-9600s anymore).

The pronto product was fantastic, but much as with the Compaq brand of computers many years ago, the high cost and limited availability, along with the "pro" line that only "pros" could program, IMHO, it was only a matter of time before the Prontos were discontinued.

For those not familiar with what happened to Compaq, they sold PC compatibles for quite some time; however, they came with a very premium price - sometimes in excess of $1,000 US over similar models available from other sources. Eventually, Compaq could not compete with the lower priced alternatives and had to bring their pricing in line with the cheaper alternatives. It so hurt Compaq that HP eventually bought them out. HP continues to sell the Compaq line, but that line is reasonably priced.

IMHO, that is the problem with taking a "we are so great and we know it that we can and will, to the ends of time, charge an astronomical price for our product" attitude.

I cannot help but think that Philips and Pronto did this to themselves. If a buyer is found, I hope they a) keep similar devices on the market b) make them more user friendly c) reduce the price to the point where it is attractive to those who are not on the upper end of the income scale.

I am saddened by this, and I do hope that Philips will find a buyer, and if a buyer is found, that buyer will open their arms to the DIY people.
All the best,
Matthew

Hosting Services by ipHouse