The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 47 made on Sunday October 31, 2010 at 10:23
Anthony
Ultimate Member
May 2001
On October 31, 2010 at 09:15, Nocko! said...
Hi to all !
Of course it's a real pity for the Pronto team loosing their jobs because of Philips' decision. I feel with them.
A few voices here already stated that the Pronto series didn't grow up with the iPods and iPads out there. I fully agree with that. But it is not only the hardware that makes the device sexy and influences the price. I had an iPod touch for a few weeks and use now an iPad. Both gadgets are great but I don't wanna use only the iPad to control my stereo or homecinema. The iPad is too big the iPod too small. An iPod Touch with a few hard buttons could make it. I hope Savant or some other manufacturer invent something nice...

But what really hurts is not that there will be no more new software to our Prontos. To be honest: Most of the the firmwares and Pronto Edits where quite boring to me. I think at Philips they never realised that most of the Pronto buyers where freaks like me who want total control over their equipment and that "we" don't want a third party to program our device. I hope, I don't only speak for me alone...

The real tragedy today is not that there will be no more new hardware or software. The tragedy is the end of the line. From this point now there is no vision to where to carry my (better our) efforts. Like most of you I nearly have owned every Pronto modell the last ten years now ending up with a 9400. Yes, it would be cool if Philips had introduced a newer Pronto line with multitouch or implemented webbrowser and so on. But for these gadgets we can use our iPads.

What really hurts is the loss of our work. Every pixel on my Pronto is designed by me and no one else. My Prontos saw dozens perhaps a hundred different configurations of my homecinema and was able to handle them all. From time to time I find buttons on my Pronto which were designed ten years ago. And I re-use the graphics or the codes behind that button.

With every new device I found workarounds and created new optics and found sometimes new functions with the help of my Pronto and remote central of course. The option to load "standard" IR-Codes from other users here was always great. Sometimes I had my Pronto reconfigured for a new device before the device arrived. All with your help.

The Prontos can do things which are essential like macros on every button, delays and a few things more. My Pronto configuration hold buttons and codes which run since five years. I cannot even remember how it works, but it works. I don't want to re-invent them. I always thought that I will transfer these ideas to the next generation Pronto. But as far as I see this option died with Philips decision and this is the real tragedy in my eyes.
Nocko!

nice post and agree, I understand the ipod/touch are a fraction of the cost, but the Prontos where remotes. They don't have the nice hard buttons that are needed. I love a touch screen, which is why I have been a fan for so long, but you also need some basic hard buttons so that, for example, you don’t need to look down at the remote to change the volume.

Hosting Services by ipHouse