Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 103 made on Friday October 22, 2010 at 09:24
Barry Gordon
Founding Member
August 2001
re my comment vis a vis the iPad.

The System is iRule. It is just starting out so it is not very sophisticated. It has potential but they (iRule) will have to do many things to bring the full potential of the iPad out. I am watching it but since I have no iPad (yet) I am in my learning phase for Objective-C, Xcode, and Cocoa, which are the basic frameworks and tools needed to program the iPad in native mode. iRule allows you to build a prior generation (pre Prontoscript) system just the way we did for older Prontos but does support putting out TCP/IP and UDP strings in the same manner as IR and RS232.

To develop natively for the iPAD you do need Mac OS X running on something and then you probably have to fight with Apple if you are only developing for yourself, but the ability to "Jailbreak" (Make it so you can install non-Apple certified apps) will probably solve any issue Apple brings up.

As I said I am just starting to climb the learning curve so I have bought several books and started reading. I will delay buying an iPad until I have code which I have tested and need the real thing.

I am not a big fan of Apple, but I have great respect for their technology. I really do like the Pronto's and have been a Philips Pronto user since the first Pronto came out.

When I was in Cedia I had a discussion with the Pronto Team management re the iPad and the industry (A/V controls, home Control, automation etc.). The iPad changes the playing field. For $500 US you get a very sophisticated touch panel, but not designed for lay folks to develop for. It assumes you are a competent programmer and have a MAC environment. To develop for the iPAD you need to be a registered apple devleoper (wihich gets you all the tools) and that costs $100 per year! Maybe Philips ought to do something similar. If you pay for a service and the service is changed or not delivered there are legal remedies. If you buy a device which has specific support tools at the time you buy it well that is what you bought.

Guys, Don't get me wrong I am on your/our side. I just tend to lay out both sides and discuss what appears to be going on. Some thing about know your enemy. The preceeding sentence is just a phrase, I do not consider Philips my enemy. Probably better said as know the playing field.

With regard to posters; Yes the more the better. Just lets be constructive. Rant to get you feeling better then think about solving the problem. When I was a corporate Executive many years ago my metaphoric reputation was that when I disiplined an employee it was done in a quiet voice using big words with the employee not feeling too bad until he nodded his head and it fell off. Much more satisfying to me.

Hosting Services by ipHouse