The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 25 made on Tuesday August 10, 2010 at 19:39
39 Cent Stamp
Elite Member
May 2007
What updates would you need to make to an iPad that is being used as a touchpanel? Dont update it. Updating control system touchpanel firmware can create nightmares also.

You can eliminate this concern by making sure that your clients understand that the family room iPad is not the iPad they take with them on vacation. It is the family room touchpanel and in addition to operating the family room it has all of these other features that they can use while in the family room. But.. its not moms dads or the kids ipad that they can sync with itunes and watch movies on in the car. No one should have it setup for email because everyone who uses it would be reading everyone elses email.

A looooong time ago i was suffering from a case of Phast and i used one of the clients computers to run landmark. The automation software required to run on a PC once the project file exceeded the onboard memory. Clients kids decided that it was the perfect computer to play video games on. Every other month.. "half of the system is not working" and i would go out and find that they had a virus, disconnect the network cable from the PC. Had the PC powered off. Landmark was gone because they installed a new operating system. And in one case.. "half the system isnt working" because they purchased a new computer for that room.

I created that problem by not selling the client a dedicated computer to put in the equipment room. The family room ipad is the dedicated touchpanel. As long as you make them understand that there wont be a problem. If they choose to ignore your instructions they get to pay you to come out and fix the problem.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse