The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 43 made on Sunday June 6, 2010 at 10:21
Dawn Gordon Luks
Founding Member
September 2001
I use nod32 and it works very well. But nothing is perfect, and I did have a virus a few months ago that it couldn't detect or get rid of. It was so bad that I couldn't run *any programs at all.* Fortunately my computer was saved by the following.

I've always been really, really anal when it comes to backups. Here's what I suggest:

You'll need three external/portable USB drives the same size or larger than your computer drive, a 2-4 GB USB stick and clone software. I personally recommend HD Clone ([Link: miray.de]).

Everyday I run a batch file using xcopy 32 that transfers all changed files on my PC to my USB stick. If you aren't comfortable with batch files, you can do this manually via Windows File Explorer if you wish. It takes about 10-15 minutes.

Once per week I use HD Clone to put a fresh clone of my hard disk onto one of the portable USB drives. After the clone I reset all the archive bits on my PC's hard drive, and clear the USB stick. I rotate the drives and always put one in my bank vault on a monthly basis. Alternatively, you could put the USB drive at a close friend or relative's home.

What's great about this backup solution is that you have access to any file instantly on the USB drive or flash drive, and in the event of a hard disk crash or virus, you can easily use the USB drive as a replacement or just clone back to your PCs hard drive. There's no proprietary software that you need to read the backups.

I can't tell you how many times this approach has saved me from countless hours of PC torture.

Hosting Services by ipHouse