Pass:

Topic:
Hybrid System/Repurposing
This thread has no replies.
Post 1 made on Sunday June 7, 2015 at 15:05
JC1179
Long Time Member
June 2015
Security is a primary concern of mine - as being a victim of identity theft and hacking before I beefed up my systems, I flat out refuse to integrate IP control for a lot of items in my home. This however does prevent me from controlling some of the devices and tech I would like to in one platform such as Hue, Smart Bridge Pro, some Zwave devices or Zigbee devices.

The SS1 does get a valid IP address and is capable of accepting a LAN connection - also Elan Port commands can be routed over Ethernet and you can pick the IP addy. So I am guessing it should be pretty easy to get a SS1 to control at least 1 IP device. I can't imagine it to be too difficult to have this send IP code or even WIFI IP code, worst case by using a UART on the TTL and possibly a little playing around.

I purchased a few of the Harmony Ultimate Home Hubs and remotes since the codes for the S12 are already inside of programming software - it is able to receive wifi at 2.4 from a phone for control so most of the work and programming already done. OK the valets and in-walls will still look old school but I couldn't really care about screen resolution and if it bothers me enough I can always play around a little with it since basically it is only a glorified universal remote capable of composite video. I am not watching movies on these things so its not an issue for me.

The other option would be to capture all the RF codes from the remotes themselves and have a laptop in my control room for my theater connected to the RS232 port and button presses would then generate the RF signal from something like Goldwave.

I spoke with both the Elan tech support as well as the Lutron tech support about at least just getting the Smart Bridge pro on the SS1, Elan isn't doing anything development wise for Via and Lutron said "theoretically it could would if I load the driver into the ss1 and use an DB9 to lan connection or get the driver and have the ss1 route to the ip addy of the SMP" Can someone send me a code set for the SBP or possibly provide me with some insight for this? I guess I could look in the G tools but I don't have a G system now so some other kinda protocol may be out there or driver I don't know about from another company.

I may just jump in and have a G system sent and only put AV, lighting, HVAC on it in addition to also controlling all my stuff my vias do now except for anything I feel critical, maybe some other items and cams I don't mind if someone got access to and want to watch remotely like my driveway backyard front door, etc. but certainly not internal cameras, access controls and security as they will all stay on a closed circuit and keep my vias in my studio, theater, and bedroom since G can be toggled on a tv. Guest rooms would also have panels added since teaching a remote is a hassle and they wouldn't have access to the cams, temp, lighting outside of that zone, etc. While I don't mind either route, I enjoy the technical challenge of things like this. Any advice or feedback would be great in regards to getting the ss1 to control HUE or SMP. Also if anyone has the driver for SBP, if they can send it to me I can at least see if I can play around for it to work. Ideally eventually I can make an breakout transmitter with LAN connection for the Via panels that would allow people to use and control local harmony hubs as well as house hold ones. I believe the hubs RF is at 2.4 as well. Is that correct?
Motors, music, movies, and muffles box. There are a few of my favorite things.Constant tinkerer. Constant thinkerer and builder of things, tweaker of others, breaker of a lot.

Jump to

Protected Feature Before you can reply to a message...
You must first register for a Remote Central user account - it's fast and free! Or, if you already have an account, please login now.

Please read the following: Unsolicited commercial advertisements are absolutely not permitted on this forum. Other private buy & sell messages should be posted to our Marketplace. For information on how to advertise your service or product click here. Remote Central reserves the right to remove or modify any post that is deemed inappropriate.

Hosting Services by ipHouse