The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 174 made on Wednesday November 16, 2005 at 00:17
Lowpro
Select Member
March 2004
I would first point out that nothing is listed in the DVD changer. The disc explorer interface is not used in any way. The listing of your DVD collection is the sole job of your excel sheet. It is best when using an excel sheet to have a changer slot column calling out what changer slot each disc resides in. With a dedicated column for this you can reorder your excel sheet by title for instance and still know what changer slots your discs are in. You then load your discs in the changer according to your excel sheet and the changer slot column.

The first time you load your changer you can certainly do so alphabetically, so long as you are following your excel sheet. From that point forward you will not be loading discs in your changer alphabetically. You will just be loading each new disc in the next available changer slot and assigning that disc in your excel sheet to that changer slot. Please keep in mind that your excel sheet is being used to keep track of what slots your discs reside in. The only place you will need to maintain an A-Z order is with your DVD cover image buttons in the remote via the editor. Each DVD cover image button in turn links to the proper slot number button (accordingly to your excel sheet) under my DVD changer device.

I use an application called DVD Profiler rather than an excel sheet. It's a great program! This application assigns each new disc I add to it a collection ID. I then load said disc in my changer according to its assigned collection ID.

Collection ID's 0001-0400 = Changer 01 (Slots 1-400)
Collection ID's 0401-0800 = Changer 02 (Slots 1-400)
Collection ID's 0801-1200 = Changer 03 (Slots 1-400)
Collection ID's 1201-1600 = Changer 04 (Slots 1-400)

When I first purchased my changers I did take the opportunity to first reorder my DVD Profile alphabetically. I then had to ensure that each and every physical disc in my collection was added to my DVD Profile as well, not just each title. DVD Profiler adds DVD's by title, not by how many discs make up that title, so if a given title includes more than one disc you have to add however many additional entries for that title to account for those discs. This way you have a collection ID for each disc.

Last edited by Lowpro on November 21, 2011 21:31.
LP Related Links:
View my profile to access various
links to key posts and downloads.

Hosting Services by ipHouse