The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday August 1, 2003 at 16:28
dthunt
Long Time Member
April 2003
So after months of programming and waiting and fiddling and learning, I finally had my iPronto to the point where it was only a minor disappointment and worked to control most of my home theatre equipment with minimal aggrevation.

Then, last night, my wife managed to accidentally dump and ENTIRE glass of cabernet right onto the unit! Of course it died on the spot. NOTHING worked.

I immediately took the unit into the kitchen to begin surgery and try a thorough sopping and drying after as much disassembly as I could manage. After all of this and about an hour or so in the warming drawer on low, the unit now starts up, immediately goes into a "Manual Configuration" screen. None of the hard buttons or touch screen are responsive to anything. It's dead.

So endeth my iPronto journey. I'm almost glad that it is dead. Now I don't have to hold my breath waiting for substandard firmware releases and I'll never again have to look forward to resetting the time zone on my iPronto to eastern time after it resets itself to GMT every night during the EPG download. I'll never again have to struggle and press "Ctrl-D" over and over and over and over again trying to get my PC and my iPronto to communicate with each other. "Ding - dong the witch is DEAD..."

I'm just going to go get a Crestron. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good dealer? I just had an $1,800 lesson in "you get what you pay for". I wish all of you iPronto owners who have not yet thrown up your hands and quit a sincere good luck! I get the feeling that this device will never live up to the hype or your expectations.

I will also at this point never get involved with any other Philips product and will relay this story to anyone contemplating the purchase of any type of home electronics equipment. While their other products may be flawless and represent a good value for the cost, I feel that they stole $1,800 from me and I now pledge to do everything that I can to steer business away from them.

If you got this far, thanks for reading my rant. I hope the Philips people read this message board. I hope my message tips the balance for them to deliver on their promises to the rest of you folks.

See ya,

Dave.
[email protected]

Hosting Services by ipHouse