The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Thursday March 4, 2004 at 13:52
Wayne Williams
Lurking Member
March 2004
I found a solution to the problem and it was simple. Only took a minute to do, followed by a reboot of the Media Center PC. Now my iPronto controls the Media Center PC perfectly. Solution below;

In environments where a lot of IR noise is present, a single press of a button on the Media Center remote can often be misinterpreted as multiple presses (a condition known as “bounce”).

A common technique to circumvent this problem is to have the remote actually transmit different IR codes on alternating presses of the same button. (And, in fact, the Media Center remote has behaved this way since it was first released) With alternating codes, the driver can distinguish whether the button was actually pressed once or twice, simply by comparing whether two codes received sequentially are the same or different. This technique is called “debouncing.”

When you train a learning remote to learn the codes of your Media Center remote, you’re typically teaching it only one of the two alternating codes that each button can transmit. So, the learning remote dutifully plays back the same code every time. The driver, running with debounce mode turned on, will ignore multiple presses of the same button on your learning remote, because they look like bounces.

You can easily turn off debouncing mode in the latest version of MCE 2004. Even if this critical update is applied. I have an HP MCE 2004 machine applied this patch and had this exact problem. All you need to do is update the following two reg keys.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da]
"EnableDebounce"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57db]
"EnableDebounce"=dword:00000000

Make sure they are both set to 0 and reboot the machine. Your universal remote should work fine!

Hosting Services by ipHouse