The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Wednesday March 17, 2004 at 12:25
Barry Gordon
Founding Member
August 2001
I think the following is true, but would like someone to correct me if they have better intel.

1) The iPronto puts out IR, RF in WiFi compliant format (2.4 ghz carrier) and RF in a specialized other format with I believe has a 417 mhz carrier

2) The IR system handles basically Remote Control IR as used in remote control of A/V equipments and other devices. It is one way (out from the iPronto, although the hardware is two way capable (e.g.learning).

3) The RF/WiFi format is used when locating NetX devices (not when dealing with them for IR emission from the netX); and when iProntoEdit is searching for iPronto's to download, and when downlaoding (or uploading data from them. The RF/WiFi is used in all operations involving the Browser, talking to the Internet EPG downlaod, etc.

4) The RF format for the NetX (lets call it RF/NetX to distinguish it from RF/WiFi)is "proprietary" in the sense it is not fully described other than I bleieve it runs at a carrier of 417 mhz.

5) The Remote control section of the iPronto puts out IR or the RF/NetX by assigning a timing string to each "touchpad button". The decision on IR vs RF is on a device basis.

6) For the iPronto to talk to/control anything else other than an IR receiver or a netX some sort of transcoding must be done external to the iPronto and along the signal path between it and the end device. An example of this is a device that accepts IR and puts out X10. This is a specific case of the generic device class known as transcoders.

It would be real nice, i.e. very high on my wish list, that iPronto were to be able to emit a TCP/IP formatted (or UDP) formatted RF/WiFi sequence in the same manner as it emits IR. One would assign an IP address to a button, and the string to be transmitted (arbitrary hex or ascii) and the iPronto would handle the rest. this would allow for people to develop varuious types of modules to allow good solid communications (ideally two way) between the iPronto and a PC which then opens up the whole world of automation. One way should be trivial; two way needs some functionality thought; especially in the status request area.

Hosting Services by ipHouse