The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Friday February 25, 2005 at 11:48
Barry Gordon
Founding Member
August 2001
As I stated in an earlier post in this thread, the biggest problem with RS232 is that no two devices use the same protocols and rules. There are perhaps some exceptions), but in general you have to build a serial based (RS232) driver to handle every device that you wish to control via RS232. I have built them for The lexicon MC-1 A/V processor; The BenQ PE8700 Projector; The Pioneer F07 DVD changer; Some KDS Component video switchers; RCS line of Thermostats; The Polkk XM Sat radio tuner; and other devices.

If you are a reasonably competent programmer in lets say VB or C++ it is not at all difficult. What is difficult is getting the Protocol specs from the manufacturers. They are generally unwilling to provide them because of agreements with firms like Crestron or AMX. I have had to sign NDA's, Reverse engineer, pull my hair out, etc.

In many cases it is not simple Serial out, it is closed loop with error messages, acknowledgements, etc. Not hard, just tedious.

If I want to buy a new piece of gear that features an RS232 port I either get the specs I need or I don't buy it

Hosting Services by ipHouse