The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 55 made on Sunday February 18, 2007 at 09:20
Steve@EI
Long Time Member
February 2007
On February 18, 2007 at 02:53, QQQ said...
After you answer that question Steve I have a few more
for you.

1. Let's suppose a new product comes out for which Lifeware
has not written any RS-232 code. What Lifeware software
tools would I use to write that code so I could add the
component to my Clients system?

We have what we call UDI, universal device interface, drop in the theRS-232 codes or IR and we can use those to integrate CE devices and such.

2. What Lifeware software I would use if I wanted to create
a custom GUI for my Client (NOT a new "skin" a customized
GUI)? Prior to uploading it to their system in Florida.

This is where our philosophy is pretty different, you would have to actually demo an EI system to a sophisticated homeowner to beleive. Currently we don't want the GUI to be different from house to house, this allows easier use factor, just like we all drop an email from Outlook the same way, we want the user experience to be streamlined. THere is menu and function flexibility, but not GUI changes. I actually did a demo to a very wealthy individual in NY a few weeks ago, he has over a dozen homes, all have the "C" system in them, he has never used the same integrator as he has always been unhappy with the final "product" he has used some great dealers, at the end of the lifeware demo he asked "how much more than my crestron system is this going to be?" A lucky dealer in florida now has a 40K sq ft job and 12 houses to retrofit. The power of this philosophy lies in the hands of the end user, this is just one of many similar stories. Especially if people have multiple properties, they really like a standard based use model. We will continue to see if this is a majority rule for homeowners, but at this point we are close to 100%, they really don't care how it looks as long as it easy to use and reliable. Often times we as dealers look at what we want, versus what are homeowners need.
3. If a Client wanted to use another media center with
Lifeware such as Kaleidescape, how would I do that and
integrate it into the Lifeware GUI?

UDI, but the model is MCE can do what you need done. as far as software, we stay out of the DVD business, but go look at thegreenbutton.com or mymovies.name
SC

Hosting Services by ipHouse