Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 34 made on Saturday February 17, 2007 at 19:36
Audible Solutions
March 2004
While we will all join in QQQ's laughter I'm not certain his prediction of CI firms not jumping on the band wagon will be born out. I get a call before Thanksgiving. Some installer working for a firm talked some client into upgrading to HD cable. There are all sorts of issues getting the HD cable boxes to sync on the 5 year old Runco crap so happily sold by many CI firms and audiophile salons because though it is crap it is profitable crap. Can I not go up and check it out for them as a favor. I know the original programmer. We have a relationship and the client promises to pay him for his work so he sends me his program. 5 trips to his home and 65 hours later, the client still has not sent a check to the original programmer, I solve all of his manufactured problems and the 2 or 3 his legitimate complaints. The picture now syncs but he is still not happy. He screwed the original firm out of 75K. According to him they did not do a good job. He did not pay the original programmer though he promised to do so. Since I cannot solve the problem of the way the networks broadcast HD during the day and cable systems transmit those broadcasts I'm incompetent and I cannot do a good job. He will also not pay that firm anything or it will be .20 on the dollar for my time fixing all of his real and imagined problems. Right behind me there will be an other CI firm falling over itself to service that system. It's in a high rent area, with a client with a vast bankroll. That company will have their sense blinded by dollar signs flashing as they fantasize about future sales and lucrative upgrade paths. He's perfect for Kaleidescape. Just wait till Nevius comes out. Those scalers need upgrading and the horrid Krell pre/pro controlling the theater might soon be a Lexicon MC-12.

There will be many firms happy to take on this business and if they have the proper business plan they will make money at it. Just because small firms did not make money installing for D* doesn't mean the large ones didn't. What is the real difference between QQQ's fictitious dealer and the dealer who asked me to service his prospective client? Some firm will always be there to service these clients and business deals.

Alan
"This is a Christian Country,Charlie,founded on Christian values...when you can't put a nativiy scene in front fire house at Christmas time in Nacogdoches Township, something's gone terribly wrong"

Hosting Services by ipHouse