The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Thursday June 14, 2001 at 13:17
Tim Wasson
Historic Forum Post
Arjen -

Completely agreed... no one hates pop-ups more than me, but I also understand why the webmaster would put them in. Even those invisible pop-ups, which pop-up behind the current browser or outside the bounds of my monitor leave a bad taste in my mouth, but if you enjoy the service the webpage provides, you have very little options. Daniel is kind enough to remove them, although I think it's a horrible thing to do to ask him to do it for his 'customers' which aren't giving him money. Even weather.com has pop-ups, and I still go there religiously.

Anthony -

Right, I know it's possible to do it without Daniel's knowledge. Here's how the advertising on the internet works, in my experience. Someone like Daniel would sign up with a big advertising company who advertises for other, smaller companies. Daniel is given a list of all these many companies, and he can sign up for the ones he does and doesn't want to advertise for. Most of the time, it will tell you how much these advertisers pay. For example, Vizzavi (the banner ad on my screen right now) may pay 1/3 of a penny for every page view. That pop-up bank may pay $.02. I would rather sign up for the $.02 one myself. Usually the ones with higher income are also more intrusive. Them's the breaks in the internet advertising world. I think for us to ask Daniel to remove an ad which may generate him quite a bit more income is a horrible thing to do.

And those are my $.02.

Hosting Services by ipHouse