Your Universal Remote Control Center
Blu-ray & DVD Forum - View Post
Up level
Up level
The following page was printed from


Original thread:
Post 2 made on Monday January 8, 2007 at 21:16
Super Member
October 2005
On January 8, 2007 at 20:36, JustinATL said...
Hello. I have about 300 VHS tapes I want to burn to DVDs.
I have decided to go the route of a DVD/VHS combo box
instead of burning the shows from my computer. (I will
buy a Panasonic DMR-ES45VS machine.)

Make sure that you don't have commercial VHS's. They will be encoded with Macrovision copy protection and it won't work. The best thing to do would be to get a standalone VCR, Macrovision stripper (Google it) and seperate DVD recorder. This will work for commercial tapes. The combo unit will only work for recorded tapes.

Now I need to figure out a way to label the disks. I have
been warned by many people to avoid putting paper labels
on the disks like the plague! What should I do?

Paper labels are the most common item, but using them probably voids a lot of warranties and risks damage to your player, especially if the labels start peeling from sue.

I buy a printer? (I don't want to spend too much money
on this.) The Epson R260 is an option, but I read several
reviews saying that the ink is expensive and the cartriges
don't last long.

I don't own one, but I believe it! Probably an expensive option, as you must also buy printable discs, but the best image quality (full color).
I read something about LightScribe technology.
I could buy a DVD burner with this technology. I would
put the disk in my computer and label it and THEN move
it to the DVD/VHS combo to do the copying. However, I
read that LightScribe requires special disks. Is this
true? Can I use the Taiyo Yuden disks with this? (See
link at bottom of this post to see what I'm talking about.)

I have Light Scribe and I use it. It's pretty neat...the discs look engraved almost, but it's limited in graphics...only a limited monotone. Another thing is that the media you referenced will NOT work with a Light Scribe burner. You must buy blank media created specifically for Light Scribe burners. I think HP and Memorex make them. They are quite costly too.

Hosting Services by ipHouse