Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 104 made on Tuesday July 27, 2021 at 00:44
daves22
July 2021
On July 24, 2021 at 20:44, lbjpilot said...
I also agree. I purchased their remotes from an authorized dealer who has always stated and informed me it was the dealers option to supply the software to the end user. (URC allowed the dealers to decide)

URC cannot change the terms after the fact. They have made the first move to attempt just that, but you do have a recourse. I encourage everyone affected by this to contact their state's AG and file a complaint. In addition, contact the FTC (ftc.gov) and file another complaint.

I suggest sticking to the facts that URC is attempting to change the terms of our purchases after the fact, seriously devaluing the remotes. In addition, if you can see the parallels, you should also note how URC seems to be utilizing malware/ransomware tactics in their approach to disable capabilities from our remotes: they hid a lock-out capability inside a normal-appearing update, and now they are demanding that we pay $$$ for 'installers' to either restore access or to further program our remotes.

Your state AG and the FTC will likely not be able to advocate for your particular case, but they are interested in trends pointing to businesses that cross the line with unfair or illegal practices. I think they would be fascinated by a business utilizing ransomware tactics to remove functionality from our remotes, and then demand we spend additional $$$ to get access to that same functionality. The more visibility on this practice could lead to them taking legal action.

I have filed reports with both my AG and the FTC. Both took <5m. Stand up for your rights.

Hosting Services by ipHouse